Delicious Ideas for Baking With Any Fruit
As the growing season progresses, you may find yourself with a lot of freshly picked fruit in your refrigerator. Sure, nothing beats the flavor of eating vine, bush, or tree-ripened fruit that you have just picked yourself. However, it is also good to have a stable of standard recipes in your recipe box that will taste delicious no matter which fruit you use! Here’s a look at some easy recipes where you can use any fruit:
Fruit Pie Recipe
- 2 pre-made pie crust halves, unbaked
- 5 cups chopped, fresh fruit or whole berries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour or corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon (optional depending on the pie)
- Sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9-inch pie plate with one of the pie crust halves. Trim the excess.
Add the fresh fruit to a large bowl. Sprinkle in the lemon juice and then toss in the flour. Stir in the sugar.
Pour the filling into the pie plate. Cover with the other pie crust half. Press the edges of the pie down with a fork in order to bring the two ends together. Score the top of the pie with the tines of the fork all over the top to let the pie ventilate while it bakes. You may also lattice this second piece, if desired. Sprinkle with sugar.
Place the pie in the center of the oven and bake until golden brown. This should take 35-40 minutes.
Fruit Salsa Recipe
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fruit
- 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Chips or crackers, for serving
Place the fruit in a food processor with the cilantro, lemon or lime juice, sugar, and chili powder if using. Pulse until desired texture is achieved. This is really up to you but most people seem to prefer this if it is on the slightly chunky side. Serve with chips or crackers of choice.
- 2 cups chopped, fresh fruit or whole, small berries
- 1 recipe vanilla cake (or 1 box commercially prepared cake mix)
- Prepared cake Icing, if desired (or powdered sugar)
Add the fruit to a food processor and pulse until pureed. Place the puree in a medium saucepan and set the heat medium. Stirring constantly, heat the puree until it begins to bubble. Reduce to low. Simmer the puree with the pan uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the mixture reduces by half. Let cool completely before using it (you may refrigerate it)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Use whichever pan the vanilla cake recipe indicates.
Prepare the cake according to the recipe instructions, except reduce the liquid (water or milk, depending on the recipe) by half. Once the batter is prepared, fold in the fruit puree.
Pour the batter into the cake pan and place in the center of the oven. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. This should take 35-40 minutes (follow the recipe instructions for cooking times). Let the cake cool according to the recipe instructions. Ice the cake or dust it with powdered sugar after it cools, if desired.
Categorized in: Recipes
This post was written by admin