Enjoy Peach, Nectarine, and Plum Season at Parlee Farms!
Peaches, nectarines, and plums are the last fruits to enjoy during the warm summer picking season here at Parlee Farms. We harvest 15 varieties of freestone peaches, three varieties of nectarines, and eight varieties of plums that we harvest from early August into early September.
Our peaches are available for pick your own- nothing tastes better than when you pick your own tree ripened peach! The peach orchard is a 5 minute walk from our Farmstand. If you’d prefer, you can also purchase peaches, nectarines, and plums in our Farmstand that are fresh picked at the optimum ripeness so that you don’t miss out on the tree ripened flavor!
Here are some peach (and nectarine & plum) picking tips:
• Wait until the peach is fully ripe. The best way to tell a peach is ripe and ready for picking is when there is no green left on the peach.
• The peaches on the top and outside of the tree are usually the first ones to ripen.
• A ripe peach will come off of the tree easily with a slight twist.
• Peaches bruise very easily, so be careful!
Once you get your fruit home, some suggestions on how to handle them:
- Do not leave them in any kind of plastic bag.
- Only put them in the refrigerator if you do not want them to ripen any further. They can stay in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
- To fully ripen the peaches, lay them out in a single layer not touching each other.
- Do not squeeze them – they will bruise.
You know it’s a great peach when the juice runs down your chin after you bit into it! Our peaches here at Parlee Farms are perfectly ripened on the tree. We hope to see you at our peach orchard soon!
Categorized in: Peaches
This post was written by Parlee Farms